Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Touch ups: Ker SPLATT!!


Old
New


Been working on the touch ups.  I have til April 22nd for my grade to complete them!

This was the worst of all the paintings.  The old one is on the left, the new one on the right.  I just did this yesterday.

Problems were:

Hippo's head was much too big
Background was way too dark
Everything felt way over-saturated
The watermelon on the bottom right wasn't necessary and caused confusion
The two "squirts" were getting lost with dark background and they were way too big as well
Everything felt crammed together, needed more space
highlights on hippo's brow were too much
Watermelon under hippo's left armpit (our left) was causing tangents (lines intersecting awkwardly)


Solutions:
Taking away all the above 
Lightening the background and making it green
Putting yellow behind Hippo at the focal point to draw attention (yellow and purple are complimentary colors)
Lightened background helps all other images pop out such as the splash and watermelons, bird, etc

Etc!   :)

4 comments:

  1. Certainly a lot clearer, Ginny. Thanks again for the design tips and reasoning behind the changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Roelant!! Thanks as always for your comments and support!

      Delete
  2. Definitely much better! Great job! How did you find out that the old illustration can be improved?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Yeah way better huh?

      I found out because.... well it was obvious for one thing. But I didn't know how to fix it, I only knew that this was the page I hated the most of all the illustrations for this book. I meet every week with my advisor, Don Seegmiller, and he critiques my art and gives me feedback. He helped me figure out what I can do to improve this one. So I just followed his tips and advice. :) Which I was VERY grateful for. I remember when I showed him the older one, I was like, "This is the one I don't want to show you.... I hate it.... but I can't figure out how to fix it!" haha

      Delete

Whatcha wanna say?